Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A little bit of keel progress today while I try to ignore the good weather and strong winds on the bay.   I will start doing some measurement checks from the base board to get a best alignment between port and starboard halves then insert a pair of alignment pins.  So far all the measurements on the profile have come out fine.  I had a scare the other day thinking I had lost 5mm in stack height somewhere but it is all fine.  Just the sanding of the poly is going to be very messy.
May 5th:  A few days later I have started sanding, cutting and grinding the shape.  I am surprised how fast it is going but regret the use of 'can foam' as mentioned earlier.  It has very low stifness so I will depend on the fiberglass top layer for strnegth in any areas where it was used.  I also revise my opinion of the styrofoam which works very well along with the pour foam.  I will probably test an area of this soft can foam with fiberglass to see what surface pressure it can take so as not to impact the sand casting.  I was warned by Commercial Casting that the sand packing could deform too soft of an area.  After all this work as well I have about 1 oz each of parts A and B of the pour foam.  There are several voids that still need to be filled so I am looking for some other compatible filler before I switch to bondo.  

No comments: