Saturday, February 1, 2014

Had some difficulty with resawing and controlling board shape.  It is getting better but going real slow. There is a warp in the plank I started with that I am fighting that has forced some an extra step of building up planks for the lamination layers.  Each piece is getting a coat of epoxy following the West System folks method.   Some wood bees have really been storming the jig as well.  Three of them just today.  The ants are in the process of carrying away their bodies.

The scarf tool, resaw jig, and epoxy coating work space are setup so as soon as the design gets adjusted for these errors in sizing it should pick up speed.  Well we'll see.



2 comments:

Andrew said...

Hi,

I've enjoyed reading your blog on building a Flying Fifteen. Are the plans you are using based on the current design (hull profile) or on the original set of plans. Have you converted the plans to DWG or DXF format. I have two Flying Fifteens a fibreglass Classic FF1717 and a damaged cedar Classic FF539.
Regards
Andrew Rennie
FFI NSW

rwyman said...

Hi Andrew, thanks for the comment. This is the first so far. Several years back when I came across the FF15 I contacted the Uffa Fox site that provided plans. Essentially plots of the loft numbers. The keel and rudder however have more detail. I am in the process of paying the build fee and I received the exact same drawings but in PDF several weeks back. There is no construction detail in the plans. I did however discover some small discrepancies between the plans but I have not rectified that. Once the keels on is finished I will. Your message has me wondering if these are variations between different hull periods, classic, silver etc. I do not have too much knowledge of the history on design.
I have put the loft into cad and that is where I detail out the design following calculations for strength, load, etc. Let me know if you want to see that. If you have any. Photos of your cedar classic, especially the keel along its full length I would be very interested. I have searched long and hard to find pictures but there are only glimpses. Regards, Robert Wyman