Sunday, March 3, 2013

I am putting this log in place to maybe gain input from others.  The plan, emphasize 'plan' is to build a flying fifteen keelboat.  I aquired the plans from England some time back and only now see the window that I might build.  This will be done in coldmolded style. 

I generated a list of all materials, steps and time with costs.  I would like to keep the cost in the 5-7k region for everything.  I hit some obvious road blocks:

Keel:   The first is the keel itself.  This organic shape of 370 lbs of cast iron is outside what I would consider casting with a backyard furnace...oh sorry, Blast furnace.  I made a request to Pin&Bax in UK but no quote has arrived.  The shipping cost might wipe me out anyway.  I am considering a non class keel that matches the horrific 3-500 ft-lb moment arm this thing puts on a hull.  A stack of steel plates torch cut to the shape then sealed in resin....well we'll see, working on that design for now.

Sails:  My living room and dining room just happen to be perfect size for a temporary loft.  And that Kenmore sewing machine I found at the dump actually rams through 6 pairs of levi material.  I am sweet talking the family for that one.  Otherwise a sail set is 1800.00.

Mast:  Need to figure this one out.  I would be game for a wooden mast.

Trailer:  I plan to modify and existing trailer in the future that will do teh trick.  It look necesary to have a trailer that can be backed in to the water with a long rope or chain as it really needs to go in farther than normal.  Our local launch also has a bridge to pass under so rigging will be after that.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Robert and congratulations for the giant work you have done and for sharing it
I was wondering where did you get the plans exactly? just in case I bring myself to do the work!!
Regards

rwyman said...

Hi Anuecru, I missed your comment last year. If you go to the Uffa Fox website: http://www.uffafox.com/ you can find plans for the boat. Also check the FFInternational website that has rules documents outlined in the blog. If you still have problems let me know, Robert