This is the essence of the F-15, at least from my narrow view 5,000 miles from the nearest regatta.
I finished the keel proposal and request and submitted it to a casting business in southern California. No word yet but it is a one off strange request. They did a very fast turn around keel some years back for a damaged boat and they pour in the several ton range daily.
- Construction: Plug is to be one part. Will discuss with you if it needs to be two pieces.
- Material: Built up from wood, foam, Bondo and fiberglass. See figure 1.
- Shrinkage allowance: 1/8”/foot shrinkage allowance.
- Draft allowance: The shape seems to be well accommodating for retrieval from sand form.
- Finish: Sanded fiberglass.
- Weight: Approximately ~30 lbs.
Shipping dimensions: 2.5’ x 1’ x 7’
Metal Keel Casting:
- Construction: Malleable cast iron.
- Material: Malleable cast iron, Nodular iron both appear to be good toughness without post heat treat.
- Finish: Smooth as possible without incurring additional cost.
- Weight: Expected 370 lbs.
- CG: 29.5” horizontal, 6” vertical, center-line transverse.
- Flange: I am planning on ½” diameter through holes, 10x eq spc.
- Shipping method: TBD - ocean freight.
- Shipping weight: 400lbs
- Shipping dimensions: 2.5’ x 1’ x 7’
Figure 1: Plywood sheets, foam and fiberglass plug with same dimensions as finished piece with compensation for shrinkage.