Sunday, September 22, 2013

Keel weighing and drilling

Keel flange is now drilled.  Easy job except the slow steps of positioning the keel safely.  Need to research the method of sealing it with epoxy or paint or whatever.  I imagine epoxy with thickener, sanded out and covered with paint?  Comments any one?  Bolt pattern will have 10x 3/8 bolts.








Made a mistake with the keel right out.  I forgot to add a hole in the base to tune the weight in the future. I wish I had a Carlton drill press now.  But I checked the weight with a lever assembly and two counter loads and averaged 390 lbs. (6.1: 181+/-12 kg, 373 lbs - 425 lbs) so all is well.  

I next moved the keel and hoisted it adjacent to the work bench to gain a good position for drilling.  I would like to finish the keel up to some decent point after which it can store for the future.  I will lay it beneath the base framing that is half built.  Time to figure bolt patterns and sizes.







No comments: