Thursday, January 15, 2015


Monday 1-19:  First cold mould layer is finished.  The tight bends are satisfactory.  It would have been worth the extra time to bend the strips in this region a bit more.  The next layer will get more attention to this detail. 
The next layer will be higher quality marine ply (Joubert 1088 okume) although I would not hesitate to use this lesser grade ply throughout.  I will build up a strapping system, remove staples, prep all over then start the next layer.  Not sure if I will work one area at a time and progress fore aft or sand all over, coat with a layer of epoxy then start laying as before.  Epoxy use is going to increase so time for another gallon.






Thursday:  Two more panels snapped when I set them up so I soaked them a bit and laid them in the sun.  After a while I could set them on the mold fairly easily.  I will let them dry out then do the fit work and glue up.


A strip panel snapped yesterday and another today while I tried to put it in place.  The turn is getting tight around the hull in the back section.  Here are some pictures on the stripping method:  Space next to previous strip, lay flat while twisting, clamp, scribe, plane to line, plane a bevel below the cut line, sand all sharp edges, fit.  I tried 5 strips stapled in place then a fast glue on all 5 but it is not much gain from doing a strip, gluing, doing another strip and less stress.  One more day and the first layer should be wrapped up.







No comments: